If you've been following this blog for any period of time you probably already know that I'm a football coach's wife. It's a crazy world that a lot of people don't know about and definitely don't understand...but we love it. That's not to say there aren't a lot of challenges to being a coach's wife.
It can be easy to get caught up in the stressful, negative side of being a coaching family. Our "coach" works 7 days a week during most of the year, we rarely see him during daylight hours in the season, and of course there is the yearly question of "are we moving?". In a world that truly could make a person (especially Type A's like me!) insane - I've found that staying flexible and staying positive is a surefire way to keep a happy, healthy marriage and family.
As we are headed into the last few weeks (or months at some programs) of the football season, rather than dwelling on all the crazy things that I can't control anyways...I thought I would share some of my favorite parts of being a football wife!
1. Every bit of time I spend with my husband is special. I have found that even during the off-season we really value our time together, and even little "normal" things like eating breakfast together or going for a long walk become extra special. I've learned to prioritize time with him and make small moments of together time even during the busiest seasons.
2. I have become really good at keeping in touch with friends! When moving is in the cards, you end up with friends all over the country. You leave friends and friends leave you. It also can be tough to make new friends where you're living, so I've found that keeping in touch with those special friends is really important, no matter how far away they live! Needless to say, I have lots of phone and skype "coffee dates"!!
3. I have my own "season". This is definitely looking different now that we've got a kiddo, but as weird as it sounds, I always get a little excited when our coach heads into the new season. Not only does that mean football games every weekend, but it also means it's me-time! I spent my first season as a football wife just waiting for my hubby to come home and I soon discovered that is not the way to spend 4 months a year! Now I use football season to get caught up on crafts and projects around the house, watch whatever I want to on TV and I always to try to take a trip out of town sometime during the season. My friends all know that I'm pretty much up for anything, anytime when it's football season!
4. My faith has grown. I've learned (and continue to learn!) to trust God with our future. The coaching world is full of unknowns and if I don't give God all the control I'll drive myself crazy! I've found some amazing devotionals by other coach's wives that really have helped me in times of stress!
5. I get to watch my husband do something that he absolutely loves! I have never met anyone so passionate about their profession as he is. The fact that he is able to impact so many young men while doing something he loves, it makes all of the stress worth it. Plus, when's the last time you went to watch your husband at work? It's kinda fun!
6. Being a part of an amazing, supportive community. In general, the coaching community is very welcoming. We are all in the same boat and athletic staff members have become some of our closest friends over the years! Even the community nationwide is amazing. I can always count on my fellow coach's wives to pray, listen and even share recipes when it's time to feed the football players!
7. I get an up front/backstage/all-access 'pass' to one of the greatest sports around! Let's be honest here...this girl likes to be "in the know". I love getting to know the players, hear about practice and be a part of something that so many people love but only can watch from the stands! We even get lucky sometimes and get to hang out on the field and travel with the team!
Well, I could talk all day about being a coach's wife...but I've gotta feed the running backs and tight ends tonight. If you need me, I'll be in the kitchen!
how about you?
I know there are other coach's wives reading this out there...what do you love best?!
It's great to see you! I'm Alyssa and I blog about all the things I've found "essential" in my life as a fit mama and football coach's wife. You'll find all kinds of fun stuff here like workouts, oily info, football stories and more!
Subscribe here for the latest blog post delivered to your inbox!
I am not a licensed medical professional. All views expressed on this website are based on my own personal research and experiences. Please consult your doctor with any medical issues before beginning a training program.
In order to support all of this blogging fun, affiliate links will appear on this blog from time to time. Purchasing from links on my blog provides me with a commission but will not affect your prices. I only promote products I use and love!
I really appreciate your support!